Saturday, August 20, 2011



One rule that I almost always follow when I am out and about taking photos is that I do not photograph people. I am way too scare to do that because I remember my sister taking a picture of a man in Jamaica years ago, I didn't want her to do it but she insisted and pretended that she was taking my picture. Well, the man road his donkey over to us while swinging a machete and demanded that we pay him for the photo and a big argument ensued between him and my sister. I snapped the two photo below earlier this year because I have always wanted to photograph jazz musicians. I really like this photo but if you look at the second photo, you see the guy giving me the evil eye.




Today I tried to turn my camera on different groups of people and it was difficult but I did it. The shots were not that great but at least I am trying to push pass this rule.


4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean Talibah - I do sometimes take photos of people but usually at a distance with a long lens. Culturally, people here in Morocco do not like having their photo taken. Of all subjects, people are probably my favorite but I have to be very careful and respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a very difficult topic! I think you have to be flexible when photographing people. Be aware when taking a photograph might be intrusive - Annabella's comment on the cultural aspects of a place is a good one - but also be confident that you are within your rights to photograph someone in public in most places. Great job in making the effort to push past this rule. It's a challenging one for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough subject!! I, too, shy away from people shots unless their friends or family. I think I miss a lot of good photo opportunities though. I need to be braver, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talibah, I'm glad you are able to push past that rule, because I know it is hard to do. I recently was asked to photograph my best friend's family in a casual setting so that they can make greeting cards with the photo. I could not believe how nervous I was doing this! The people I have known for years, yet I was like a kid on her first day of school.

    So, you inspire me to push past that fear, whether it is a rule or not. Love your photos of the musicians, and I really love the photo of the labyrinth at the top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete